Monday, November 10, 2014

Two and a Half Years Later....

Today while I was sitting at a red light I was checking my Facebook.  I guess I got bored in that two minutes it took for the light to change.  Ironically I found this blog post about slowing down, not multitasking, stopping to smell the roses.....  It seems like it is always my goal to live a little slower.  I am always reminding myself.  I've been doing a lot of "soul searching" lately.  I am contemplative...always going over things, analyzing, daydreaming....  I am trying to slow down.  With a full time crazy job that is an hour away from my house and three growing kids I have to be very deliberate about it.  I have to force myself.  Notice I said, trying to slow down

So, Christmas is coming up pretty quick.  I love Christmas.  I love Christmas carols and Christmas trees and decorations and Christmas cookies and Presents.  I love Presents.  I love planning and finding that perfect gift for that someone special.  I love wrapping.....packaging.....sealing with a kiss.  I love dipping candy canes in chocolate and putting them in pretty packages with shiny red bows.  I love putting the girls in their red velvet dresses and Jude in his....shirt with a collar (lol) and taking silly pictures.  I love Christmas cards....but only if they contain a little note.  I am not that fond of a cheap card with a family signature.  Just my thoughts.  Anyways....back to what I was saying.  Since I moved to TN, Jake and I split the holidays.  This year I get the kids for Thanksgiving and he has them on Christmas.  The kids get WAY too much on Christmas.  I want to give them presents because like I said above....I love the whole gift giving thing.  But.....I do not want to just give them STUFF.  So I am thinking and planning and organizing.  I wish they knew how privileged they really are....  I try to teach them to appreciate what they have and to be humble but I think I might be failing miserably.   I should probably lead by example.  I am really just over all the stuff.  I am focusing on my blessings.  Learning to be thankful and appreciate.  The blog (http://www.aholyexperience.com/)I was reading talked about this (http://onethousandgifts.com/).  I haven't bought the book but she was saying that she has been writing down things she feels are "gifts" to her every day.  Not just 2 or 3.  She has been writing 33 each day.  33 different ones each day.  I like the idea a lot.  I think I will try it myself.  I have so many gifts....

I am going to start blogging again.  I think I will show y'all a little of my Tennessee later this week.  See you then!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to write again...I've missed you!

    Aunt D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! You don't need to read the book to get started, but it is a blessing. Reading about her background a bit, you can see how amazing God's work has been/is in her life. (So there's hope for us, too.)
    You're good at making memories with your kids. That could be a fun way to do Christmas! Or have them put together gifts for less fortunate kids? Kids can do gratitude journals, too.
    Something I think would be fun is interviewing your kids. Here are a few websites that offer sample questions:
    http://ati.iblp.org/ati/family/articles/family/questions/
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/200-Question-Cards-for-Discussion-and-Writing-Prompts-63407
    http://crappypictures.com/interview-your-kids/
    http://life.familyeducation.com/communication/family-time/36021.html?page=3
    http://leladavidson.hubpages.com/hub/Top-50-Open-Ended-Questions-for-Sparking-Conversation-With-Kids
    Yeah, I got a little carried away there. I just think it's such a fun idea!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

My First 33 Gifts....

Today is the day....that I am starting my list thankfulness.  I won't be posting the list everyday because....well, you know some things...